Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Motivation

Two posts in one day...I know a lot of people that run and it seems that some actually enjoy running.  I would say I tolerate running, but enjoy competition.  Prior to a race I always look back at the previous results to see where I should start and then sort of picture how I will do.  I'm hoping this year brings a new set of PRs and my goal is to run a sub 20:00 5K.

In the Baltimore 5K I felt great until I got to about the Hippodrome on the route.  I would say there was about 2.5 miles left, but I could see that there was a 12 year old girl that was mostly likely going to beat me in the race...I really couldn't let that happen and I'm pretty sure I pushed myself to the limits just to cross the finish line before her.  She is actually in my finishing picture and luckily not only did I beat her on the gun time, but chip time also:) 

The first/only 10K I did I noticed the shadows of sprinters behind me.  I actually was feeling really great with about a half mile to go, but these people I could tell really wanted to race...and who was I to disappoint.  I think this is the only guy from the pack that stayed with me.  Also, it's worth noting there was a multiwave start as I don't think I just edged out the lady on my left:) 

My motivation is I would love to know the feeling of crossing a finish line first.  The best finish I've had so far is 22nd in a small local race of 900.  I would say probalby half ran and the other half walked, but it was great seeing the sea of people that I was ahead on the out and back route.

And here is a link to a youtube video that I watch before I leave the apartment before every race.  I'm hoping I can convert this to an .mp3 at somepoint as I think just listening to it would push me through the last mile of any race.  Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-wOKrD_nRE



No comments:

Post a Comment