Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Slowing down or speeding up (a glass half full day?)

  I felt great waking up this morning, but that soon wore off rapidly.  I put on my "slow" tights today (probably the placebo effect of having great runs in my CW-X and 2XU compression tights, but not the ones I recently purchased).  I figured I would go out slow and then gradually speed up.  I was using my phone with mapmyrun, so I really do this by feel as I put my phone in an armband shortly after I start and never look at it again until the finish. 
  I believe the "slow" tights were playing mind games on me as I was going fairly slow on mile 1 (I would later confirm this by checking my splits and it was 8:57)..mile 2 seemed a bit faster, but mile 2 is generally an easier mile for me as I'm warmed up and gradual downhill, miles 3 and 4 I didn't think I sped up from mile 2, but I suppose I did and ran those in 8:00 and 7:52, respectively.  A bit slower then a normal 4 miler, but I was happy with the negative splits.
  The lesson from all of this is that it may not have been the best workout, but it's also the 3rd day in a row of running or strength (or both).  I suppose I earned a day off....how about that for feeling entitled to something?  :)
 
Related to entitlement and things I've found amusing over the past couple of years.   I used to watch the show "Deal or No Deal" I was always fascinated by the idiots these people would bring to them with the show.  The banker would offer $100K and family/friends would tell these people "No deal.  Keep going.  You earned this!"  This usually ended badly for these people and I'm surprised more shows didn't end with the contestant fighting his cheer squad that he brought with him/her.  So I suppose I shouldn't say "I earned an off day"...it's just in the schedule tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment