Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Speed Work Tuesday

After the disappointment of my time at the Red Shoe Shuffle I decided I could 1.)  Sulk and feel sorry for myself or 2.)  Do some additional speed work...I chose a mix of 1 & 2.

Today I got out there and the plan was to do .25 x 10 at a 1:31-1:34 pace.  Unfortunately, we don't have a real track down in the city so I ran around the outside of the volleyball courts in the inner harbor (about .29 miles).  I confess I have done little to no speed work since high school.  Occasionally I will go up a hill at about 80% of my max and be completely winded, but overall just doing long distance training and running as gotten me to this plateau.  So the speed work drills roughly worked out to a 6:30 pace...although I did have a couple of them that were right at the 6:15 pace.  Nothing close to the 6:04 pace.

I needed a day like this...it was horrible.  It felt almost as awful as the 5k this past weekend.  No actually pain or injuries, but just exhaustion.  It will be worth it if this work pays dividends and I certainly hated the idea of wanting to give up last weekend in the 5k.  I won't let that happen again...and I also don't want to lose to 13 year olds at a local race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment